Are you, or someone you know getting ready to hop on their very own homeschooling journey? I’ve got my top 10 tips for newbie Homeschoolers here for you. I’ve been homeschooling for 6 years now (Holy Cow!), and I’ve had many a conversation with new homeschoolers. And this is what I tell them!
Let’s be honest homeschooling can be tough sometimes. Don’t make it even tougher. We have written a detailed post about homeschooling your kids which might benefit you.
Top 10 tips for Newbie Homeschoolers
- First – CHILL! You will figure everything out, give yourself grace and time to do so.
- If you have more than one child, know that they may both need separate plans/strategies. Likely not for everything, but some brains are just wired differently for certain subjects.
- You won’t break your children! Promise.
- Find support for you, even if it’s someone in another state that you can only video chat with. Having like-minded support in your arsenal will help you get through the tough days, and there will be tough days (see #5).
- There will be hard days, very hard days, days where all you get done is sending the kids outside. This is ok. Remember field trips, library day, and movie day in school? Yeah, our teachers just couldn’t take it anymore and needed a break too. 😉 Bad thing about that was, that we couldn’t all go our separate ways and play/knit/sew/bake/take a walk. You can! Regroup tomorrow.
- You will find your groove. What you plan out in your head or on paper may very well be the wrong plan for your kids, but you will find what works by maintaining some flexibility.
- “Comparison is the death of joy.” ~ Mark Twain ~ No truer words have been spoken. Do NOT compare yourself to others. Period. PERIOD I SAY!!! There will always be a mom with seemingly unending energy and money to have all the “best” curriculum and supplies and cook all natural foods and garden and, and, and! Don’t do it. Make the homeschool that YOUR kids need, that works for YOU. Once you have a few years under your belt, you won’t even think about this. Really.
- Make your schedule work for you, seriously YOU. Need long weekends? Do school 4 days a week. Spouse work away from home and come home sporadically? Schedule around that. This adventure is yours and no one else’s.
- If you went to public school, your homeschool should look very unlike it! If science is super interesting one day and lasts 2 hours or more, don’t cram all the rest of your schedule in just because it’s on the schedule. Be flexible, when the kids are interested in something – roll with it!
- Have fun. Enjoy your kids. They will be grown before you know it. And, hide some chocolate for yourself in the top of a closet somewhere. You’ll need it at some point 😉 For real!
- And, as a bonus – You don’t have to spend a fortune on curriculum. There’s tons of stuff free online, not to mention your library! Don’t make the mistake of thinking expensive = success/good match for your children/golden ticket.
I wish you all the best if you’re entering this journey!!! Please, reach out to me if you have ANY questions🙂
What would you tell a newbie homeschooler?